Saturday, July 14, 2012

Marinette with Hilma and Ralph

Due to the lack of internet and phone reception we have neglected this blog for the last few days.  I wanted to write about Marinette, Wisconsin.  Where my grandparents live.

I was a lucky kid growing up.  My grandparents lived just a few hours away from me in Safford, Arizona.  I spent many weekends in the tiny, slow moving desert town.  I have memories of a park filled with mesquite trees, a small lake, and hot springs my brother and I always looked forward to swimming in.  I remember lying on the floor of their little mobile home listening to the sounds of their voices in conversation, not really paying attention what they were saying.  My nose following the smells of Grandma (Hilma) cooking/baking in the kitchen.  Usually apple pie and these buttery noodles with bread crumbs mixed in.  My favorite to this day.

I was so excited as we drove into Marinette passing by the cheese stores and Rail House Brewery.  We sat and talked with my Grandparents and I completely lost track of time.  This was the trend for the next couple of days.  They are the kindest and most generous people I know.  Like superman or Ghandi to me.  My heroes. 

We stayed about 40 or so miles north of them at J. W. Wells state park outside of Menominee, Michigan.  After the first night there they moved us to a campsite right on the coast of Green Bay.  The constant breeze blowing off the bay was better than air conditioning.  Our second day there was the first day of the trip that felt like vacation.  We slept in, cooked some breakfast at camp and sprawled out on a blanket in the sun and napped with Roadie.  Summer on Green Bay makes it seem so worth it to endure through the cold months up here.  After our nap we met up with my cousin Jackie from Detroit and uncle Tom from right there on the same stretch of beach we were camping on.  It was good to get to visit with them as I rarely ever have the chance to do so.  My aunt Mary even made time in her busy schedule to take us out to lunch. 

It was hard to leave such a beautiful place and the comfort of being around my family.  But we have a long road ahead of us.  So we took a picture and said our goodbyes.  I'm full of love for my family.
Us with Hilma and Ralph, my grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment